Seller’s Guide: A Complete List of Documents You Need to Sell Property in the Milwaukee

Selling a home can be a time-consuming process, especially when it comes to preparing the necessary paperwork. If you plan to sell your property in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, it’s essential to understand the required documents to ensure a smooth and successful sale.

If paperwork is overwhelming and you’re looking to sell your home fast and as-is, we can take much of the burden off your paperwork process. Contact us today for a fair cash offer in as little as 24 hours. 

From disclosure statements to sales contracts, there are several legal documents that you’ll need to prepare before closing the sale on your home.

Here is a comprehensive look at the paperwork required to sell a house in Milwaukee. 

Paperwork needed for selling a home in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Two forms of ID: This typically involves a valid government-issued photo ID such as a driver’s license or a passport to establish your identity. 

Deed: The deed to your home records the property transfer from the seller to the buyer. In Wisconsin, you receive the deed to your property shortly after you close on your home. This is a public record also stored by the Register of Deeds so that anyone can verify the legal transfer of home ownership. If the home’s mortgage has been paid off, you should have received a “Satisfaction of Mortgage” document from the Register of Deeds office. 

If you cannot locate the deed to your property, contact the Milwaukee County Register of Deeds for assistance. 

Deed of trust or mortgage: The deed of trust or mortgage is an agreement with your lender that states the lender owns an interest in your property and has the right to sell your property if you do not comply with the terms of the loan. This document is also recorded by the Register of Deeds office along with your deed. 

Purchase and sale agreement: Once a buyer and seller agree on a purchase price, a formal purchase and sale agreement is drawn up. This form contains the transaction details and usually includes the purchase price, earnest money, inclusions/exclusions, contingencies, and closing costs. If you sell your home for cash instead of working with a real estate agent, your attorney will provide this form. 

Federal disclosure of information on lead-based paint and/or lead-based paint hazards: Sellers are required by law to disclose any potential hazards from lead-based paint hazards in a “Lead Warning Statement” upon the sale of a property. 

Real Estate Condition Report: Sellers are required by state law to disclose any significant defect in the home that would “result in a significant negative effect on the property value, that would significantly impair the health or safety of future occupants, or that would significantly shorten or negatively affect the normal life of the property.” This could include information about land use, wells or water tanks, structural or mechanical defects, etc. 

Note: If you own the property but have not lived in the property, you may be exempt from this report. Additionally, the buyer has the right to waive this report. If you sell your home for cash, it is likely you will not have to provide this piece of paperwork. 

Property tax bill: This document shows that your property taxes have been paid and are up to date. In most cases, you will have to provide your buyer with a copy of your most recent property tax bill. 

In some cases, buyers may ask to see additional documentation:

Homeowner association documents: If your home is part of a homeowner association, you will need to provide documentation that shows you are current on your HOA dues. You may also need to provide the buyer with a copy of the HOA’s bylaws, rules, and regulations. 

Utility bills: The buyer may ask to see copies of your utility bills for the past year to determine the average monthly cost of utilities in the home. 

Home warranty: Providing a home warranty can be an attractive selling point for buyers, as it offers protection against unexpected repairs. If you choose to provide a home warranty, you will need to provide the buyer with a copy of the warranty contract. 

As you can see, selling a home in Milwaukee requires a significant amount of paperwork. It’s essential to work with a professional who can guide you through the process and help ensure that all necessary documents are completed accurately and on time. 

At Grandview Homes, we can waive or bypass many of these paperwork hurdles because we purchase homes as-is for cash. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by paperwork or have questions about what paperwork is necessary to sell your home, do not hesitate to reach out. Contact us today to receive a fair cash offer for your home in as little as 24 hours. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *